One of the most common uses for gabion baskets is as retaining walls, which are often used to stabilise a slope and to control erosion (particularly in overly wet climates). If you’re thinking about using these baskets to build some walls around your property, you might be interested in the benefits that you will ultimately receive. We’ve covered some of the main ones here:
- Aesthetically Pleasing The baskets have a natural appearance and can be used to tie your home into the landscape by using filler materials similar to those found elsewhere on the property. The stones that you have chosen will also play a major role in the overall appearance of the wall.
- Environmentally Friendly The baskets help your property to work with its natural slope, which can lessen the need for extensive excavation work. As well as protecting the natural environment of your home, this will save you some money (as excavation often proves to be quite expensive).
- Sustainable If you live in a hotter climate, the baskets can also double as shade screens and provide passive cooling (as they allow air to move through them, providing ample ventilation). When used close to your alfresco area, you will notice a difference in temperature.
- Permeability These baskets make fantastic retaining walls because they’re permeable and free draining – water will be able to pass through them easily without fear that the stones will be washed away. There isn’t any water build up, so you don’t have to worry about flooding.
- Ease of Installation The baskets are incredibly easy to put together – they arrive like a flat pack and are joined together using metal twists. They’re so easy to put together, you can have the wall built in a weekend! If you need help, watch our tutorial for a step-by-step guide.
- Long Lasting These baskets are incredibly long lasting, as they’re made from steel and are designed to withstand all weather conditions. As stone is already a natural material, it will also withstand the test of time. Even growing vegetation on the wall will have no impact.
As you can see, using gabion baskets as retaining walls will offer your property a number of benefits that you will not receive when using other materials. On top of all the benefits that we’ve outlined above, you’ll find that these baskets are also quite affordable. We have two standard sizes available (1200 x 300 x 300 or 1000 x 500 x 500) and can also custom make the mesh if needed.Tweet